How to ascertain legality of out of town projects-weekend homes-agricultural land in Maharashtra?

Village land

There has been flood of offers by builders recently, offering weekend homes/farm houses/villas etc situated outside city limits but within a couple of hours driving distance from the city.
Though the prices are cheap compared to city living, the main deterrence/worry is the legal status of the land in question. How does one verify whether the houses shown in the brochures have all the necessary permits, since village land does not come under Municipal jurisdiction.
The steps for the same are outlined below..

House on Village Land
  • Check whether the Non-agricultural land order has been issued by the Tehsildar. Do not believe the Non agricultural order shown by the builder/developer as this may be forged. Contact the local tehsildar office with the gut/hissa number (as per 7/12). Non-Agricultural land certificate is valid for a limited time. So check whether the land is currently Non Agricultural. You can also check online for the latest 7/12 which shows the current owner of the land….along with the status (NA or Non-Agricultural land)
  • Check the latest 7/12 extract of the land. This should specify the said land as Non-agricultural land. No construction can take place on agricultural land.
  • Check with the nearest town planning dept office whether the housing project plans confirm to the overall development plans of the plot of land. The development plan of the area should be in the local town planning office (Collector’s Office of the District)
  • For even more security, try to get an official survey of the land done via the local tehsil office ( the tehsil office undertakes surveys of land for a fee ), just to verify whether the plot of land being shown to you is actually the land that is on the 7/12 order, tehsildar order, town planning approval.

By Mayur

Mayur is a real estate professional based in Navi Mumbai for the past 20 years. His expertise in real estate includes every sphere of the real estate sector from legal to Vastu to home interiors. He can be reached on 9987452642

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WeCreativez WhatsApp Support
Send a whatsapp msg
👋 Hi, how can I help?